I’m worried about my health or my loved one's physical health

If you have coronavirus symptoms and think you need testing, contact a health professional. Local health departments and providers determine who needs testing and hospitalization on a case-by-case basis. While many people are able to recover from COVID-19 at home, and we acknowledge that it can be scary to come forward and receive advice to self-quarantine, it is critical to tell a medical professional if you feel symptoms. If you are experiencing other medical problems, please still contact a health professional to determine next steps.

NEW: San Joaquin County Has Expanded Free COVID-19 Testing to All Area Residents

This testing will be available to all, even those who are not exhibiting symptoms. To schedule a drive-up appointment at San Joaquin General Hospital, please access this Verily site.


San Joaquin County COVID-19 Testing Sites / Sitios de Prueba para COVID-19


Seek COVID-19 treatment if:
  • you have difficulty breathing (shortness of breath)
  • you feel like symptoms (such as fever and cough) are getting worse rapidly
  • you are unable to care for symptoms at home

How to seek treatment: 

  • If you feel any of the above symptoms, call your doctor for a phone evaluation. They will give you guidance on whether or not you should get tested for COVID-19.
  • If you think you may be experiencing an emergency related to COVID-19, call 9-1-1 and let the operator know you’re experiencing COVID-19 symptoms. That way, the ambulance provider can prepare to treat you safely.
  • Community Medical Centers, a network of 21 neighborhood health centers, has made rapid adjustments to offer telephone visits during the COVID-19 crisis.

*If you are experiencing another medical problem, contact your provider to determine next steps. If you are experiencing a medical emergency, please call 9-1-1.*

California is consistently expanding COVID-19 testing capacity. At the moment, testing is prioritized for folks who:

  • have COVID-19 symptoms AND
  • have one of these risk factors: 
    • are a first responder,
    • have had contact with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19, OR
    • work in a healthcare facility, OR
    • are in prison OR
    • are over 60 years old, have a compromised immune system, or have serious chronic medical conditions

To learn more about testing and treatment, see California Department of Health Coronavirus Updates

If you need support from a healthcare professional but do not have health insurance or a regular doctor: 

  • Enroll in health insurance 
    • Healthcare.gov has a wide variety of health insurance options to choose from.
  • Dignity Health has free Virtual Urgent Care Visits for those with COVID-19 symptoms
    • Use coupon code COVID19 if you are experiencing mild to moderate COVID-19 symptoms. Symptoms can include low-grade fever, cough, or shortness of breath.
  • Go to the emergency room or call 9-1-1 if you need help immediately
    • In an emergency, all health departments that participate in Medicare (which is most US hospitals) must see you, regardless of your ability to pay.  
  • Federally funded health centers provide care regardless of insurance coverage or income. Find a federally funded health center near you at https://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/.

If you would like to get connected to community resources, including information about your healthcare options: 

You can complete the form below to get entered into the Connected Community Network. The network, powered by Unite Us and in partnership with United Way and 2-1-1, is a coordinated care network of community resources that are available to help during this crisis. One of 2-1-1’s trained call specialists will contact you after you submit the form.`


    San Joaquin County WorkNet Resources

    The Workforce Development Board of San Joaquin County is offering financial relief for workers during COVID-19. Workers that have been terminated, laid off, had a reduction of hours or are self-employed and unable to work due to COVID-19 are eligible for up to $800 in supportive services. Click Here to learn more, or call 209-468-3660. 
    English Language Learner Grant Program is available to assist assist English Language Learners/Immigrants seeking employment-related skills, and services necessary to overcome barriers to employment, and embark on a career pathway. Click here to learn more, or call 209-468-3109.

    Access the new Supervisorial District Fund

    Each Supervisorial District recently received $3 million each. This new funding can be used to reimburse costs to Health Care partners, small businesses that have experienced business interruption due to the COVID-19 public health emergency, and other COVID-19 related expenses. This definition may also extend to nonprofits.

    Please connect with your Supervisor via email or phone (click here) so you may learn more about how you can access the dollars: 

    If you live in District 1 – Supervisor Villapudua, mvillapudua@sjgov.org
    If you live in District 2 – Supervisor Miller, kmiller@sjgov.org
    If you live in District 3 – Supervisor Patti, tpatti@sjgov.org
    If you live in District 4 – Supervisor Winn, cwinn@sjgov.org
    If you live in District 5 – Supervisor Elliott, belliott@sjgov.org

    If you’re not sure which Supervisorial District you live in, then please use this district lookup tool.

    Update on Coronavirus Stimulus Payments

    The IRS has begun sending payments to taxpayers nationwide. Most people won't need to take any action if they are eligible for payment. To check your payment status, visit their site.


    Has your employment status changed, or are you working less hours because of COVID?

    If you have lost your job or your employer has reduced your hours because of COVID-19,

    UI provides partial wage replacement benefit payments to workers who lose their job or have their hours reduced, through no fault of their own (including because of COVID-19). Eligible individuals can receive benefits that range from $40-$450 per week.

    If you are an entrepreneur or independent contractor who needs support,

    • You can apply for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA).The PUA benefits are payable if an individual doesn't qualify for regular UI benefits in California or another state and also does not qualify for State Disability Insurance or Paid Family Leave benefits. For more details, click here.

    If you are looking for a new job now, 

    • Amazon is hiring in Stockton. To apply, text STOCKTONNOW to 77088 for job alerts or visit amazon.com/centralvalleyjobs.
    • Stockton Unified (SUSD) is hiring. Take a look at their open roles here.
    • San Joaquin County WorkNet provides great resources for job seekers, including programs specifically designed for getting you back to work. Click here to learn more.
    • CalJOBS is supporting the people of California in getting back to work. Search for job listings in your area here.

    If you are unable to work due to having or being exposed to COVID-19,

    file for Disability Insurance (DI).

    DI provides short-term benefit payments to eligible workers who have a full or partial loss of wages due to a non-work-related illness, injury, or pregnancy. Benefit amounts are approximately 60-70 percent of wages (depending on income) and range from $50-$1,300 a week.

    If you are unable to work because you are caring for an ill or quarantined family member,

    file for Paid Family Leave (PFL).

    PFL provides up to six weeks of benefit payments to eligible workers who have a full or partial loss of wages because they need time off work to care for a seriously ill family member or to bond with a new child. Benefit amounts are approximately 60-70 percent of wages (depending on income) and range from $50-$1,300 a week.

    For more information, visit the California Employment Development Department.

    If you are an immigrant who needs financial assistance, 

    You can apply for Disaster Relief Assistance for Immigrants (DRAI), a one-time state-funded disaster relief payment for undocumented adult immigrants impacted by COVID-19 and who are not eligible to receive funds from the CARES Act federal stimulus payments or from pandemic unemployment benefits. An undocumented adult who qualifies can receive $500 in direct assistance, with a maximum of $1,000 in assistance per household.

    You can begin your application with CRLAF by calling this toll-free number: 877-557-0521.

    If you are concerned about COVID-19 financial scams,

    CRC (California Reinvestment Coalition) has developed a helpful infographic in English and Spanish to alert people on how they can protect themselves and their loved ones from scammers and bad actors. Vulnerable communities are disproportionately targeted by financial predators. 

    Avoid COVID-19 Scams [English]

    Avoid COVID-19 Scams [Spanish] 

    If you are a farmer, rancher, producer, or you have a rural-based business, 

    The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) has created a COVID-19 Federal Rural Resource Guide that be can be used to provide immediate and long-term assistance to rural communities affected by COVID-19. 

    Questions about the Governor's Stay at Home Order?

    For consistent updates, please visit covid19.ca.gov.

    Essential Critical Infrastructure Sectors, on the Department of Homeland Security Website

    What's closed?

    • Dine-in restaurants 
    • Bars and nightclubs 
    • Entertainment venues 
    • Gyms and fitness studios 
    • Public events and gatherings 
    • Convention Centers
    • Hair and nail salons 
    • Places of worship and cultural ceremonies, like weddings and funerals
    • Offices for non-critical infrastructure sectors
    • Shopping malls
    • Wineries and tasting rooms
    • Movie theaters 
    • Family entertainment centers (for example: bowling alleys, miniature golf, batting cages and arcades)
    • Zoos and museums
    • Cardrooms

    Please click here for a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) from the California State Government in English and in Spanish.

    Want to support #STOCKTONSTRONG?

    Your donation will fund relief programs designed to support
    vulnerable workers, small businesses, and senior residents who are in quarantine.