I’m worried about my housing situation.

 If you are currently experiencing homelessness:

Stockton-area homeless shelters and services remain open, and can link you with supportive resources.

  • Stockton Shelter for the Homeless (209-466-2605)
  • San Joaquin Fair Housing Association (209-451-3471)
  • Women’s Center of San Joaquin County (209-941-2611)

San Joaquin Public Health Services created a COVID-19 Brochure for the homeless, which has:

  • COVID-19 prevention tips
  • Symptoms to watch out for
  • Guidance on what to do if you experience symptoms

If you are a tenant concerned about potential eviction: 

  • California Tenant Relief Act, rent relief and assistance for tenants, landlords, and homeowners.  “Housing is Key” website here.
  • The City of Stockton COVID 19 Emergency Rental Assistance Program is providing temporary financial relief for eligible persons experiencing difficulty making rent and/or utility payments due to a loss of household income as a result of COVID-19.

  • The Stockton City Council has put a moratorium on evictions for tenants who have a higher risk of contracting coronavirus and those whose incomes have been affected due to reduced hours, school closures, or job loss.
  • Important to note:
    • The moratorium does not eliminate a resident’s obligation to pay the unpaid rent. When the local/state emergency expires, renters are obligated to be current on past due rent. Contact your landlord to suggest a repayment plan (in writing).
    • If you’re served with a notice, you must respond. Contact legal aid right away: California Rural Legal Assistance (209)946-0605. You can also get assistance from the San Joaquin Fair Housing Association (209-451-3471).
  • For more information on the City of Stockton’s recent action, including criteria on how to qualify for the moratorium, please click here.
  • For a comprehensive FAQ on Stockton’s eviction moratorium from Faith in the Valley and California Rural Legal Assistance, click here.

If you are a homeowner:

  • The federal government is taking the following actions to address housing insecurity during COVID-19:
    • Homeowners in need may receive forbearance on their mortgage payments for six months, with an additional six months possible, for a total of one year of forbearance. Homeowners must have a loan backed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, or a mortgage guaranteed or insured by the federal government.
    • Home foreclosures, and related evictions, have ceased for 60 days, as of March 18, on all federally backed mortgages.
    • Find more information here.
  • Californians who are struggling with the COVID-19 crisis may be eligible for the following relief:
    • 90-Day Grace Period for Mortgage Payments -financial institutions will offer, consistent with applicable guidelines, mortgage payment forbearances of up to 90 days to borrowers economically impacted by COVID-19.
    • No Negative Credit Impacts Resulting from Relief – financial institutions will not report derogatory tradelines (e.g., late payments) to credit reporting agencies, consistent with applicable guidelines, for borrowers taking advantage of COVID-19-related relief. Moratorium on Initiating Foreclosure Sales or Evictions – for at least 60 days, financial institutions will not initiate foreclosure sales or evictions, consistent with applicable guidelines.
    • Find more information on California’s actions here.
  • The GRID Alternatives Energy for All Program offers solar electricity at no cost to lower-income households:  
    • This State-funded program will help you save 50-80% on your electricity bill, especially with the extra power being used while sheltering in place. To see if you’re eligible, visit energyforallprogram.org.